Friday, August 27, 2010

Eldery people are not kids

I went out to lunch with my friend and a couple times I was distracted by old people. I have been taking care of them for almost 4 years so I can't help but observe them. I think too often the elderly get their basic rights taken away from them. Most of it, I think is for their safety and it's done out of love. The other part.. well I think it's controlling or your just not thinking how this might make you feel if you were the old one.

I seen two different tables with old people. The first old women said that she wanted salad and a sandwich.. the lady that she was with told her you always have this and this and not that.. And basically just made her get what she told her to get. Unless there is an issue, as in medical issue, I don't see any reason not to let her order what she wanted. I think people just get too controlling.

Another table, brought an old lady in by pushing her in by using the chair of the restaurant. Buy a wheel chair. They are causing more of a scene buy doing it their way. Then, they made her drink out of a kid cup. Maybe spilling is an issue but there has to be a better way.

These are just a couple of examples that I see. A lot of times, I see my clients family be way to controlling and I think it degrades the client. I just wanted to blog about this because I don't think people really think about how they treat them.

No comments: