Friday, April 13, 2012

cell phone update

We gave the phone from my company a try for the week but my son basically knew we would be sending the phone back. I just couldn't justify giving my son a phone with unlimited text and talk especially since it didn't get much of a signal in his room. I didn't like that the phone company mislead me into believing I was getting the phone for twenty a month. If a contract wasn't involved I might have been willing to give it a month or two to see if my son would find a job to pay for his own part of the bill.

We picked up a less fancier phone with a lot less minutes but we think it's probably actually the best for us because one we can afford it and two it's not cool so if he wants a better phone or more minutes then he will have to earn it. Plus, I do have unlimited minutes and if he came to me and asked me if he could use my phone to talk to someone I just don't see a big problem with that.

4 comments:

Family Bits said...

Good for you for making it no frills, and making him earn that part.
Does the cell company cut him off after he reaches his max minutes? If not, it's very easy for a teen to go over the minutes. Some companies will actually cut off the minutes after the limit if you ask that they do so.
Hope it all goes well for both you and your son.

birthmothertalks said...

Its a prepay as you go phone. He gets about 130 minutes a month and if he runs out then he can't use the phone unless adds more minutes to it.

Anonymous said...

Have you tried the ATT Go Phone? It is $50 a month for unlimited phone, data and texts. You have to pay $50 for the phone too but you can put the SIM card in any ATT phone. I tried it out for a month as my Verizon phone contract was coming to an end. I pay month to month and so far I like it very much. I just ditched my Verizon contract.

birthmothertalks said...

I just started a new contract with Tmobile for my own phone or I would really check into that deal for myself. Honestly, for my son, I mainly want to be able to reach him, have him reach us and him have a number for job applications. I don't want to give my son a phone with anything more until he has his own money.