Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Birthmom's are not Bm's or poop or shit or whatever else bodily fuction thing you can come up with

Why do adoptive parents insist on using the term "bm" for birthmother? Do they not know that bm means poop, shit, crap, dump or whatever else people tend to use for when they go number two? I know that the majority don't use this term but some do. It shows so little disrespect for the person who chose you to be a parent for their child. I know birthmother, birthmom, first mom or natural mom or what ever other word could be used to describe a woman who chose to bring a child into the world and break her own heart to give that child to people who would become Mom and Dad. So, quit being lazy or ignorant and take another few seconds to spell out the word better.

5 comments:

In Blind Faith said...

I remember the first time I saw "BM". I couldn't figure out why they were calling us "Bowel Movement". It's a shame they are so lazy they don't care about how insulting BM is.

~Katie said...

I have used that before, and I apologize if it is offensive. I have honestly never thought of it that way. I don't think most do...I know I would NEVER intentionally disrespect my birth mothers or any birth moms out there. I have great respect for all of you whether you placed your baby by choice or not. I understand your passion, but I would chalk it up to ignorance and perhaps look at it from another perspective. I enjoy your blog so much bc you don't attack us AP's ;) There seems to be so many blogs out there that are so hateful and attacking of us. Can't we all just get along! :)

birthmothertalks said...

Katie, I agree some people are ignorant and may not see the connection. There is this one blog where it's bm here and bm there and I commented explaining how majority of birthmom's find that offensive. I don't recall what I said word for word but I believe I did it in a respectful way. The writer chose not to approve my comment or change her style of writing and honestly it made me a little upset. I don't try or want to be a hateful blog because it's just not the kind of person I am but sometimes I can lose my cool.

~Katie said...

I totally get it Birthmomtalks! :)

Mrs H said...

i make an effort to never do that. I may have in the very beginning but quickly realized what i was typing and stopped!