Saturday, August 18, 2012

Summer


Our city has a great park district that offers fun summer activities for families in the local area. I am pretty sure it's not just summer but summer is when I think of them most.
They offer plenty of programs that are low cost or free. They also do fees based on a sliding fee which is how we managed to send Alex to camp twice this summer for sleep away camp.
He went last year and just loved it so much that we knew we had to do it again. We signed him up for two weeks but if he had his way he would move in there.

Years ago, when we were going through all the therapies it would never crossed my mind to send him away for four days. He couldn't talk and that's a scary thing to think about.

My husband and I used the second week as sort of a vacation. We only cooked once while he was gone. I guess you could say we just got lazy or we forgot how the stove worked.

Stephen is a lot of work and I think we just were tired. Sometimes, when we are slacking as parents when it comes to fighting the school or fighting Stephen to do homework my excuse is that we are just tired. I been a special needs Mom for 12 years
and sometimes I just am about out of steam. However, we just keep plugging along and try to make things work out.

Stephen will be starting the 7th grade soon. I am not looking forward to the new school year. We are trying him on add medication for his scattered brain problems. Other term would be that he lacks serious focus and gonna give it a try. Even though I don't want to do it but feel like I have to do it.

At times I have felt like my kid must be so messed up cause I must not be a good enough parent. I must be doing something wrong for my kid to be acting up so badly and not learning like he should. I have even wondered am I being punished for something cause some of the stuff I have been put through is just way too much. How much bullshit can be thrown at one person?

Reunion had caused me to compare my children to Izzy and at times I get that negative thinking going and wonder what did her parents do that I didn't do? Where did I go wrong? How come my child acts up this badly?

Oh well. I love my silly kids even if they are not perfect. I really feel like we had a pretty nice summer in despite of the school fudging Stephens's grades which made him look as if he didn't need summer school. My son needs routine and summer school would have filled in about half the summer.


I hope everyone else had a great summer.


No comments: