Tuesday, August 9, 2011

new school

In the past, I have blogged about how my oldest son is failing high school and the plan was to try to get him in an alternative high school to graduate. We took him yesterday and he had to take a couple tests to see where he is on tests scores. His reading is a 12 grade level and we won't even talk about math. It wasn't pretty.
They really tried to push for him to get a GED and said he could probably have it by December but I really want to see him get a diploma. I graduated at the same school and the person that is over seeing the program was my business teacher. They said it would take another three years to get credits and don't know if it's the right place for three years. I feel that there will already be a stigma about the diploma not being as good cause it came from an alternative school. I always feel uncomfortable when people in my town ask where I graduate from. A big part of that is that I don't want to get into why I ended up there. The truth was emotionally I had nothing else to give at a normal public school. I was drained.

Well, anyways, my son has stopped fighting the idea of the school now that he has been there and spoke to people. The average class size will be ten or under and they have an average of 40 students.

The biggest hurdle is going to be my son deciding that he wants to be in school and learn. The second hurdle will be getting to school. He will have to take the city bus. It was been agreed upon that my son won't come over to my place on the normal weekend. His time with me will be during the school week since the school is pretty close to me. However, it still means taking the bus if we can't take him. It will be all on him to decide that he isn't above taking the city bus.

There is a chance that this school will be no longer to offer credits for graduation so it's possible he may have to go for the GED.


No comments: