Saturday, June 4, 2011

retreat offer

I recently reconnected with an organization that is there to assist famlies that are raising special needs children. I received mail from them about a retreat for Mothers/Grandmothers of the special needs children.
The offer is to show up on Friday at 6pm and stay until Sunday at noon. The idea behind it is to do some of the things that are not always possible being the mother of a child with special needs. Some of the things they offer are.

Massages, Hiking, Beautiful setting, door prizes, new friends, old friends, movies, meditation, Bonfire, Manicures,Indoor and Outdoor activities. I would get my own private room and all meals provided for 75.00

I like the idea of going and enjoying these things but then got worried about going alone and not fitting in. So, I called my sister and asked her if she would go if they allowed it. She said, yea.

I called the people who sent out the information and talked about it and she said that I could bring my sister. Then, I searched for more information and got the websites for the places that we would be staying at.

Go here to check out the place that I would stay at. I thought it would be like a hotel but now I see that it would be less scary because it's not a huge hotel. I get lost really easy and have never been anyway without someone being in charge and directing the way.

Next door, is Hope Reigns Ranch. Go here for them. It seems really religious and even though I do believe in God and have found comfort in the church. I really don't want to be preached to and I believe God loving people can't be true friends to a person unless you are a God loving person or pretend to be one. As soon as a person, shys away from church for a while, they forget all about you.

But back to the retreat. I am pretty sure that I do want to go. I think this is a chance to unwind and just have some me time. I may even make new friends. I wonder if I jumped the gun asking my sister to come with me. If I have my sister with me, I am less likely to focus all on me and also might have a hard time making the effort to connect with other Mom's that are raising special needs children. If I have my sister to talk to then I won't feel the need to break out of my shell and possibly find support in others. But I am scared if I go alone and don't connect with others or feel comfortable that I will be lonely and sad.

One very good part of this place is that it is in my town. I could actually come home if I don't feel comfortable or safe.

I feel a little guilty about spending the money because my husband was fired from his job last week and money isn't coming in like it used to. It's not until late September but I have to commit before then. I would hate to lose out on this chance because I am buying time waiting to be able to afford it and then they get filled up.

There is a big part of me that doesn't want to dream of this date getting here because then that means Summer is ending! It just got here. I don't want it to go away.

If this offer came up for you what would you do? Go on your own and risk being uncomfortable or just jump in head first, alone, and hope for the best?

If I decide to go on my own.. how do I undo my offer to my sister?

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Not quite the same thing, but I had the opportunity to volunteer in New Orleans, but it meant that I wouldn't know anyone and would be totally on my own. I decided to go anyway. I ended up having the best time. I made new friends and there's something about being forced to interact with people that you don't know. Plus, some of these women won't know anyone either, so they will probably be in the same shoes as you. I think that it's good to do things for yourself. Yes, it's expensive, but it's a mental health break for you. In order to keep you in the best shape, sometimes you have to spend a little bit of money. And you in your best shape will save a lot more down the road.

If you do decide to go and don't want your sister to come, I'd just explain that you are so grateful that she agreed to go, but the more you think about it, the more you think it would be good for you to go on your own. Explain why if she needs you too. I think that if you make it about you (which it is) and not her, she'll be ok with it.