Wednesday, April 17, 2013

volunteering


I haven't volunteered in about a month or more. Truth is that I miss it but I just don't know where to fit it in. I work for my day job 5 days a week and that's 37 hours a week. If you add drive time it adds about 3 hours a week driving back and forth. I babysit for this church for about an hour and half each Sunday but again the drive time adds about an hour for the day.

I spend an average of 4 days a week at the YMCA and it averages at least two hours or more each visit. Between my full time job and the babysitting job I only have one day a week that I don't have an obligation. The Y time includes my showering. Truth is that I shower more at the Y than I do at home.

I enjoy spending time at home with my family. It includes a few hours here and there with my granddaughter. I enjoy meeting up with friends for lunch or whatever else we decide to do. Quite often when asked to meet up.. I arrange the times after my Monday or Friday work out. (i tend to meet up with friend's when Stephen is at school) If I have to add volunteering to that day something has to give either the friends or the working out.

We are just a couple months away from my son being home from summer vacation. I am not going to want to leave him and go volunteer. I just wish I had an extra day. I really don't want to give up volunteering cause I really do enjoy it. Honestly, I enjoy volunteering more than I do babysitting for the church due to the church not always having children in the age group that I look after. However, I do get days where I see the same kids and it melts my heart to have them in my care.

I get frustrated when I get out of bed and there are not any children. If money wasn't an issue I think I would rather babysit for free but that's just not how things roll for me.

I have rearranged one of my Y nights to make it a Y day so I don't run off twice a week during the evening. So as of right now, I spend only one evening at the Y. I have Saturday morning zumba and of course Monday and Friday working out in the morning or early afternoon. Tuesdays unless my son has counseling. ( he is almost done with it) we have made it family night rotating between a game night or movie night.

I really don't want to give up volunteering so it's a matter of trying to find the couple hours here and there to fit it in.

No comments: