Friday, March 18, 2011

3 charms hang in my car

Each charm as a picture of a cartoon like drawing of a child and a name. They have been hanging in whatever car I own for a few years now.
I picked up my Dad for coffee and he asked why the three charms? I said something to the matter that the 3rd one is Izzy's and he said who is Izzy? Is that the baby you watch? I said, no she is my daughter.
He said, oh yea, I keep forgetting about her. I only think of her as "the baby" I am really not mad or upset because he hasn't had the pleasure of seeing her or getting pictures of her. It's just weird that after I came out with the reunion stuff to him he still can't remember her name.
I guess that probably happens a lot in closed adoptions where the child is known as the baby especially in cases where the birthmother doesn't even know what the real baby's legal name is.
Someday, my Dad may get to meet Izzy but I am not really ready for that. I don't think Izzy is beating down my door wanting to meet her biological grandfather either.
Only time will tell what the future holds for all of us.

1 comment:

Jeannette said...

My daughter after she placed her son mentioned her son to her adoptive father. Her adoptive father has seen him since he was born, and he is only 7 and a half months old. He still asked her "who's Owen". Sometimes I just wonder how the grandparents of the placed child can so easily forget them.