Friday, March 15, 2013

Phone interview


I was contacted by email from a lady working on her master's degree and interested in talking to birthmothers who are in reunion. So, today, I spoke with her on the phone about my life before reunion, the reunion and how things have been going since reunion. It was pretty nice to get to share my story with her and especially since someone is interested in hearing about adoption reunion.

Reunion has brought out a lot of joy but I never want to forget that with it has been a very trying time in my life and that's part of the story that not too many people really get to here. It can have it's highs and lows and sometimes speaking the truth can be hard for birthmothers to really express due to fear of others not getting it and just fear of allowing others in.

Talking with her reminded me that blogging and counseling as helped me along the way and I really believe things could have turned out much worse if I didn't have a few birthmother's and adoptees in my corner that were able to help me keep my cool during the hard moments.

This isn't the first time that I have answered interview questions but was the first time on the phone. I actually thought that was a much better way for a person to really "hear" the birthmother's story.

Thanks for all those that have stuck with me through reunion and continue to follow mine and Izzy's story.

off subject of the phone call.

I haven't really been working on Izzy's scrapbook. I really need to get to it. I think there is a part of me that might view the scrapbook giving as a final thing for us. Also, I just feel like I poured my heart into the book and just can't seem to give it to her.

My goal is to get me a couple good photo albums so I can arrange my pictures and try to get back to it.

We bought a new kitchen table and actually put our old one in the living room so I have an even bigger space to work on it with.

Lastly, I need to get the book copied once it's complete. It's just too important to let it go. I have often joked that I would run in a burning house or have to rescue it with along with my children. Yes. I am serious.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Hi. Sorry I haven't commented in a while. How nice that you were interviewed - it's wonderful that you got to share your story with her.

Maybe you just needed time away from the scrapbook. I feel like that sometimes with writing. Like I can write a lot and then I just need to step back from it for a while. I think making a copy that you can keep for yourself is really important. I know it's not the same thing, but I made a scrapbook to give to our daughter's birthmom when we first met her. I made a color copy of the whole thing so that I could save it for our daughter.

Hope you can get back to working on it soon!

birthmothertalks said...

Thanks Wendy, I plan on getting me a good couple photo albums so I can arrange my pictures cause I think that is part of my issue.